BURNT Mill Academy, Harlow, invited last year’s students back to collect their GCSE certificates and other awards of excellence.
Former student, Maddie Leadon, who is now a qualified doctor working in Westminster & Chelsea Hospital, returned to the school to inspire the year 11 leavers and their parents and previous teachers. She spoke about her experiences at Burnt Mill and how the school had challenged and supported her to realise her aspiration of studying medicine.
The awards were presented by the teachers of the previous year 11 students, and amongst some of the winners were:
- Elizabeth Slow – Margaret Chan Award for art
- Matthew Winder -Renee Joyce Award for modern foreign languages
- Siena Taylor -Fraser Award
- Daisy Broughton – Tillotson Award for PE
- Marlie James -Megan Hanks Award for Performing arts
- Jesse Forson and Erin Clucas – Headteacher’s Award
Laura McGlashan, head of school, said: “The evening was a wonderful celebration of students’ achievements and it was lovely to welcome the class of 2018 back to school to receive their GCSE certificates which they worked so hard to achieve. The teachers, who presented at the evening, demonstrated an immense sense of pride in their students because of their academic achievements and because of the wonderful young people they are. We wish them luck and look forward to hearing of their future successes.”